Spring has sprung in our house
With this warm weather we have been having, I have been getting the declutter bug! Looking around our house, I see that I have let my clutter piles build up again. We have more baby piles around the house than I know what to do with. I know those I can’t have much control over but, I can go through and declutter my little piles and my desk area.
Any time, I get the declutter bug, I go through my list of six questions with each item to decide if it should go in the keep or get rid of pile. I grab an empty box, bin or bag for each category and get to sorting.
6 Tips for Decluttering – Ask yourself
1. When did I last use the item?
2. Would I buy this item again if I didn’t have it?
3. Why have I been holding on to this item? Does it hold a sentimental value? Was it a gift, am I holding on to it to appease someone when they visit?
4. Do I have a duplicate of this item or something that can serve the same purpose?
5. Can I recycle or reuse this item for another purpose?
6. Can I sell, consign or donate this item to help lower the guilt factor in disposing of it?
I have noticed that my mood can deeply sway my thoughts on way or another, so I try to go into this process with an open mind. Number six totally helps me the most. I always feel better if I can consign the item or sell it somehow. Making a little extra cash is never a bad idea in my book.
Just a few weeks ago, I went through my shoe bin. I probably had somewhere between twenty and thirty pairs of high heels. I told myself that if I could find a dozen shoes to part with and take to the consignment shop, then, the next time I was in that consignment store and found a pair of shoes I liked, I could buy them. Not a bad trade off. Plus, I would be making money with the other pairs of shoes. With that mind set, it was easier to go through the shoes and decide which ones I could stomach parting with. I love my 👠!
So, the next time you have some free time, pick the most cluttered place in your house and ask yourself those 6 questions as you make your way through the items. We hope you enjoyed this and can be more productive the next time you decide to clean out a space. Feel free to share your tips that you use to clean out your areas!